Wednesday 13 March 2019

SWOT Analysis

Strengths:


  • I am good at making contacts and already have a good network in the art community in Leeds
  • I am taking steps to widen my community by doing events further afield (London, Brighton)
  • I have a strong visual identity and sense of what images I like to make
  • I put a lot of myself and my opinions into my work- which means it all tends to have a strong and clear message 
  • I am very self motivated and have a lot of ideas for projects
  • I have a strong sense of what commissions I'd like to be doing and the kinds of clients I'd like to be attracting
  • My work is relatively low-fi and uncomplicated meaning it is accessible to a large audience of people
  • I have a good understanding of who my audience is and what their needs are (young women aged 18-30 who are socially conscious, feminist leaning and looking to feel empowered)
  • I am organised and determined to go into freelance illustration after university
  • I am taking steps to prepare myself for freelance life- going to start up Wednesday classes, talking to people who have previously applied for funding (Princes Trust), talking to people who run small businesses

Weaknesses:


  • I struggle to organise my time and schedule myself properly sometimes which means sometimes I rush work when a deadline is looming
  • I prefer to work on my own than in large groups which I'm aware I won't always be able to do
  • I am stubborn and often will carry out an idea, even if I'm the only who who will like or be interested in the finished product
  • I have too many ideas which I get excited about. I need to learn to focus my ideas down and simplify 
  • I will put off doing work, mainly commissions, if I don't like or feel confident about the idea
  • I am not strong or confident enough when with clients
  • I need to get better at my working method with clients- when to give them a contract, how to price my work, when to send the invoice, how many amendments to make


Opportunities:

  • The local creative community in Leeds- both for support and commissioning work
  • Girl Gang Leeds, really fits my target audience and talks about subjects that I want to discuss in my work- good for networking and potentially get into the organising side later on after uni
  • Gig poster work seems to have worked well for me before and pays well, look to do more off this
  • My growing instagram following- means I'm able to engage with my target audience using polls etc to find out what kind of products they'd be interested in buying
  • Feminism and women's empowerment is "fashionable" right now- this is something I talk about in my work anyway so maybe focus on pushing this side of my practise more


Threats:


  • Other creatives making socially conscious work
  • The cost of starting a small business and being freelance (living costs etc)
  • Being taken advantage of as a young creative starting out in the industry- being under-payed, late payment, misuse of my work etc (maybe look at AOI membership to help protect myself)
  • More experienced illustrators with wider networks/contacts




No comments:

Post a Comment